9-Volt Battery Starts House Fire [Video]

Would you believe that a 9-volt batter could start a house fire? Well it did for one unlucky family and we are here to show you the video and cause(s) of just how simply changing your battery(s) in your smoke detector(s) could start a fire in your very own home.

We trust everyone one of you changes your batteries every year at daylight savings time – right? Just nod your head “Yes, we sure do!” and if you haven’t, go change them right now.

Essentially what has happened here is two 9-volt batteries were discarded into a recycle trash bag and 2-weeks later the two 9-volt battery terminals touched each other after he inadvertently moved the recycle bags.


11 Responses to “9-Volt Battery Starts House Fire [Video]”

  1. Delores Klenke
    January 10, 2014 at 10:52 am #

    Thanks, I shared.

  2. Kimberly Clark
    January 10, 2014 at 2:02 pm #

    Holy mackerel! What a great video that everybody should watch! I never would have guessed!

    Thanks for posting this video on facebook~

  3. Kevin Allgire
    January 10, 2014 at 7:27 pm #

    Thank-You very much for sharing this info. I never knew this would happen. We take in batteries where I work for recycling and we should look into this.

  4. Jane Fidler
    January 12, 2014 at 5:28 pm #

    Very interested in learning more safety story’s

  5. Chuck Stenger
    January 16, 2014 at 2:29 pm #

    Please let me know when you post more on this subject I want to include your fire into my fire prevention program.

  6. Jan Doherty
    January 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm #

    Please send video when ready. Thank you!

  7. Chuck Strafford
    January 20, 2014 at 9:15 am #

    Thank you very much for sharing this. We do beach front maintenance on vacation homes and the last two springs we change out all 9 volt, AAA, and AA batteries through out the homes from remote controles to smoke detectors and I have been saving these HUNDREDS of batteries in plastick tool boxes, just thoughn in and loose wthout tape on the terminals. After watching your video on facebook at 1:00 am, I ran around our home trying to find ALL these totes filled with hundred of these unsafe batteries. Once I had as many as I could find, I headed outside in below freezing temps in my boxers to get them away from ANYTHING FLAMABLE. Thank you for sharing. This could have been a MAJOR DISASTER with lifethreatning implications. I am very grestfull cor your posting this.
    Chuck and family.

  8. Gretchen
    February 17, 2014 at 12:09 pm #

    Thank you very much for this video. I am housecleaner, and I go above and beyond the norm. When tidying up, I will put open battery packages in a different storage container/ bag.. and tuck them away neatly. I will never do that again, and this week, I will be fixing that in all my houses~ I could not live with myself If I caused a fire. You are NOT responsible for your house fire, as you did not know. I do now and that makes me responsible. Thank you so much for this info. ~gretchen

  9. Mary
    February 20, 2014 at 9:20 am #

    Please send me any copies you make.
    Thank you,Mary

  10. Lou Richardson
    April 6, 2015 at 9:27 am #

    Our safety department showed us your video in our weekly meeting. Very informative! I would very much like to subscribe to your videos. Thank you.

    September 23, 2015 at 1:20 pm #


Leave a Reply